Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome. Here you will find some of the questions frequently asked by our customers. If you cannot find the answer to your question, simply contact our Customer Service. We look forward to helping you.
Where can I enquire about spare parts for my Franke products?
- For spare parts enquiries, please contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What the warranty of Franke products?
Franke stainless steel sinks come with a 10 year against manufacturing defect.
Franke Fragranite sinks come with a 2 year against manufacturing defect.
Franke taps come with a 5 year against manufacturing defect for cartridge, 1 year for exterior finished (excluding labor).
Franke appliances come with a 1 year against manufacturing defect, including parts and labour.
Check here for further detail.
Can you offer tips to ensure long-lasting beauty for my stainless steel sink?
- Do Routine Cleaning
- Use soap, warm water and sponge. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
- To Remove Stubborn Stains BonAmi, BarKeeper's Friend or similar products are helpful in removing tough stains. Always rub in the direction of the grain, rinse thoroughly, and wipe dry.
- To Maintain Luster
Use a small amount of mineral oil on a soft cloth. Apply evenly to the entire surface of sink and buff to a shiny finish.
Is there anything I should avoid while cleaning my sink?
- Do not ever use steel wool, scouring pads, steel brushes, etc. Their particles may become embedded in the sink surface and cause a rusty discoloration.
Can I stop my stainless steel sink from scratching?
- No. Stainless Steel will always scratch (whether it be of Franke's manufacture or competitor) and because of the directional polishing marks on many Franke models the scratching will show up quite dramatically initially. However, with use and cleaning using a proprietary cleaner such as Franke Stainless Steel Cleaner the stainless steel will eventually build up a patina over the years and the scratching marks will not be as evident.
What's the difference between an undermount and topmount sink?
- A topmount sink has a lip that folds over the countertop and is therefore resting on top of the countertop cutout. Fasteners securely mount an undermount sink underneath the countertop so that a polished edge of granite, marble, etc. is exposed above the sink. An undermount sink cutout requires more polishing and installation labor than a topmount sink cutout and is therefore a more expensive option.
Are they different types of stainless steel for sinks?
- Yes. In fact, some stainless steel sinks look bright and shiny at first, but rust or corrode in time. All stainless steel sinks are not equal in quality and material content. Look for the best combination of chromium and nickel for superior corrosion resistance and durability.
How important is the stainless steel thickness?
Very. The thicker the steel, the less susceptible it is to denting, bowing and noise transmission from pots and pans hitting the metal surface.
The thickness, called "gauge", can be determined by its number. The lower the number, the thicker the steel. Most sinks come in 18 or 20 gauge steel. The 18 gauge is the thicker of the two and more than ample thickness for residential sinks.
What should I look for in the finish of the stainless steel?
- Look for a rich, deep, satin-smooth finish rather than a surface gloss. The luster comes from machine and hand-finishing operations, which enable the sink to keep its beauty for years - without cracks, chips, rust or stains. Many feel that the look actually improves with age, taking on a soft patina glow.
How do I clean the overflow?
- Many Franke sinks come with a Hygienic Overflow, which offers versatility for cleaning. Simple removal of the logo plate reveals the overflow aperture for easy, hygienic cleaning. Most Franke sinks have rigid overflow pipes and can be cleaned by pouring boiling water into them. Alternatively use a proprietary cleaner.
How do I fit an undercounted sink?
- This depends on the worktop but we would recommend that you seek professional advice. A template and fixing clips are provided in the box. Some circumstances may allow for fitting a bowl directly to the worktop. Alternatively a plywood template can be made to the size of the sink, which will effectively 'sandwich' the sink flange, when addressed to the underside of the material. We would recommend the use of a sealant between the flange of the sink and the worktop to avoid any water ingress. In all cases you are advised to consult your supplier.
I am thinking of installing a topmount sink into a solid surface worktop, is there anything I should consider?
- You should take into consideration the position of the overflow in the sink, as your worktop fabricator may need to router out the worktop material to accommodate it
- What is the best product to use to avoid my stainless steel from scratching?Franke Stainless Steel Cleaner is recommended for regular maintenance of stainless steel sinks. This cleaner is easy to apply; just spread a small amount on a damp cloth, and distribute it throughout the sink with minor circular motions. Leave to work for a few moments and rinse with clean water. Afterwards, polish with a dry cloth - the Franke Microfiber Cloth is ideal.
How can I remove "rust spots" from my new stainless steel sink?
- Your sink is made from high quality 18/10 chrome nickel steel. That means it’s metallurgically incapable of rusting or corroding in normal household conditions. If rust and corrosion problems do occur, tiny iron particles deposited on the surface will be the culprit. These either come from the water supply or are left behind by wire scouring pads or utensils. It’s essential to clean off these filings and dry the sink thoroughly afterwards. If you let them stick around, they’ll cause rust.
- If you want to remove any rust stains from your products, we recommend using a cleaning agent containing oxalic acid (e.g. Bar Keepers Friend®). Always use mild, non-abrasive cleaning agents such as Franke Stainless Steel Sink Cleaner to remove stubborn stains from your stainless steel and make sure you thoroughly rinse away any cleaning liquids once finished. Oh, one more thing, when cleaning your stainless steel, NEVER USE STEEL WOOL PADS. We, and our stainless steel, thank you in advance.
- We would point out that unless the particles are completely removed they will return. It is therefore very important that after cleaning the sink, it is dried thoroughly - a Franke Microfiber Cloth is ideal. This process needs to continue until the problem disappears. The problem is sometimes particularly obstinate to remove and it may take several attempts to restore the sink to its pristine condition.
How do I best clean my stainless steel sink?
- Discoloration and most marks on stainless steel are caused by water-borne deposits clinging to its surface. One of the best ways to keep your stainless steel sink in pristine condition is to clean it with a product such as Franke Stainless Steel Cleaner, which can be purchased here.
How do I find out which cut-out dimensions are necessary for my Franke stainless steel sink?
- As a general guide, cut inside the overall frame dimension (by inverting the sink on the worktop) by 8mm all round and always use a 20mm (important!) radius at the corners. Cut out sizes are shown on the specification sheet for each sink. If a template is provided, please use that.
How do I determine the capacity of the sink?
The 3 basic measurements for comparing sink sizes are:
- Depth – distance from the top of the rim to the bottom of the sink next to the waste
- Taper – inward slope of each side of the sink from rim to bottom
- Radius – measure of the bowl’s corners & bottoms where the sides and bottom meet
The deeper the bowl, the straighter the slope and the tighter (smaller) the radius, the more capacity there is in the sink.
How do I knock out a taphole in a topmount fragranite sink?
> Ensure colour sticker is in centre of pre-formed taphole
> Follow the description line drawings shown on the template, or:
> Take sink out of box and rest the sink vertically against your legs with the face of the sink facing outwards and ensuring the taphole is for the correct hand drainer (take care not to damage the edge of the sink in the process);
> Take a centre punch and place on the centre of the colour sticker;
> Strike the punch hard with a hammer - this will result in the core of the tap hole being knocked out;
> Finish off using the ball of the hammer and using a round file.
Are all taps finishes durable?
- Finishes are durable if cared for correctly – do not use abrasive and damaging cleansers. Warm water and a soft cloth should be all that is needed. Overall chrome is usually the most durable.
Why should I use Franke accessories?
- Franke accessories can help keep your kitchen and prep area clean and organized, adding to the enjoyment of the food preparation. Greater efficiency in your efforts is the result of the customization of the cutting boards and grids to each unique sinks design.
How do I solve clogging issues with my soap dispenser?
- You may wish to add water to thicker concentrated liquid soaps, in a 1/3 water to 2/3 ratio to reduce the possibility of clogging. Regular cleaning of the soap dispenser is also recommended.
How do I best clean my kitchen tap?
- Clean using hot soapy water. Avoid using scourers or abrasive materials.We recommend using our Franke Tap Cleaner together with Franke Microfiber Cloth to clean Franke taps.Simply spray Franke Tap Cleaner onto your tap, leave to work for a few moments, then wipe with a Franke Microfiber Cloth.
Never apply abrasive detergents, disinfectants or products containing alcohol, hydrochloric acid or phosphoric acid.
How do I remove a spout on a Franke tap?
Tap spouts are most commonly removed by:
> Undo the grub screw at the back of the tap
> Unscrew the collar at the joint with the body
> Located lug in bayonet
Is water pressure critical when choosing a particular Franke tap?
- Flow rate can be affected particularly on the hot side of traditional vented plumbing systems. We do not recommend ceramic disc taps where there is less than 4 metre head of water.
Why is not the burner's flame burning?
- To turn on any burner equipped with a safety valve, press down and hold down the knob for 5 seconds. If doing so, the flame is not lit, then check that the gas outlet holes at the safety thermocouple are not accidentally obstructed. In this case, rinse the burner components and dry them with a cloth.
How does the safety valve of a hob work?
- The safety valve is a device that protects against accidental gas leakage. Through the operation of a thermocouple the gas passage is blocked in the event of an abnormal shutdown of the flame due to, for example, liquid overflow or an air flow.
The burner's flame does not switch on?
- Do you hear the ceramic candle discharge noise ("tic tic") when you try to turn on the burner? If you do not, check the presence of the power supply.
Do you experience a continuous "tic tic" noise coming from the hob?
- The noise you are hearing is generated by the electric ignition candle discharge. It may have dampened, due to fluid overflow, the hob area containing the ignition control unit. Try to disconnect and leave the power supply unplugged for a day. If the problem persists, contact a Franke authorized service center.
How do I clean cast iron parts in use on the hob?
- For proper maintenance, the cast iron parts of the hob should always be hand-washed with a neutral detergent. Washing in the dishwasher is not recommended as this type of washing turns out to be too aggressive and would cause opacity on the cast iron surface.
Can I connect a LPG gas tank to the Franke hob ?
- The Franke cooking hobs are also designed for operation with LPG gas. When installing, replace the nozzles mounted on the burners with the special ones for LPG gas. Burners do not need any air regulation as they are self-regulating. It is advisable to carry out the operation to a specialized technician. Please make sure you purchase the LPG preset, in this case.
How does an induction hob work?
- The induction hob operates by means of a magnetic field that generates heat on the bottom of the pot when the latter is placed in contact with the surface of the plane. The pot used on this type of cooking stove must be made of special material containing iron and its bottom must be smooth for optimum yield of the inducer. Non-magnetic, aluminum or copper stainless steel pans as well as terracotta or ceramic pans are not suitable for use with induction.
What are the benefits of using an induction hob?
- The great benefit of the induction hob is given by the speed of cooking. For example, boiling water for making pasta is much shorter than using a normal gas counter. Ease of cleaning should also be considered as the surface of the induction plane is completely flat. Another important factor is the total electronic control of the zone settings which allows total security and various functions of use
How to clean the surface of an induction or ceramic glass hob?
- We advise you to clean when the hob surface is still warm and the residual heat indicator lamps are off. For cleaning, use a scraper to remove all food residues, taking care not to scratch the surface of the glass. Then rinse with water and dry well with a clean cloth. Constant use of the scraper reduces the use of cleaning chemicals.
What is the difference between a glass ceramic hob and an induction hob?
- The ceramic hob works by means of radiant electrical resistors, placed under the glass that diffuse the heat in the corresponding cooking zone. The induction hob, on the other hand, operates by means of coils (inductors) that trigger a magnetic field only if the pot (with iron base) is placed on the hob surface at the selected cooking zone.
My oven does not switch on. What should I do?
- Check the lifesaver. Check that the power switch is turned on and that the plug is properly plugged into the power socket. Also verify that the Child Safety feature is not installed. To unlock it, hold down the knob as indicated in the instruction booklet.
Is it true that the oven can smell on the first use?
- A new oven, at first switch on, always emits odor due to manufacturing residues. Before starting to use it for cooking foods, it is good practice to heat the empty oven at maximum temperature for about 1 hour, opening the window to ventilate the room.
Do you need to preheat the oven before inserting the food to be cooked?
- Preheat the oven before inserting the food to be cooked. Preheating is used to prevent vapor accumulation inside the oven cavity. In some models of FRANKE ovens the preheating is automatically made, an acoustic signal will indicate the time when you can start baking the food.
When the cooking is finished, is it normal for the oven fan to continue working?
- The oven cooling fan continues to work for a while even after it is switched off, to decrease the internal temperature quicker.
How to choose the cooking function that works best for my cooking?
- To identify the most suitable function for cooking different foods, please refer to the instructions booklet included in the FRANKE ovens. Here, the various cooking functions are clearly and in-depth described, depending on the type of food, suggesting the cooking time, temperature and position of the pan.
What is and how is the Pyrolysis work?
- Present on some FRANKE ovens, Pyrolysis is an automatic cleaning function that, thanks to the high temperature reached is able to burn off dirt and grease on the cavity walls. Throughout the pyrolysis process, the door remains locked for total safety. At the end of the cycle, when the cavity has cooled down, it is sufficient to clean the interior by removing dirt and grease burned with a sponge and then reflow with a microfiber cloth.
How often is it necessary to run a complete cycle of Pyrolysis?
- Under normal oven use, simply turn Pyrolysis function once a month. However, if you bake frequently or you bake large quantities of food, it is advisable to run the pyrolysis cycle more frequently.
Is the oven not baking smoothly?
- Refer to the instruction manual and execute a recipe of the booklet (ref. Cooking table) in a detailed manner. Pay particular attention to the arrangement of the baking trays and the positioning on the right shelves.
Are you not satisfied with the food cooked in your Franke oven? Check these tips.
- Have you followed the suggestions on the instruction booklet? Be very careful about the type of baking tray, the shelf and the selected program. Rotate the baking trays during cooking. It is important to read the instruction booklet and follow the instructions carefully. Always preheat and bake only when the cooking temperature is reached (wait for the thermostat to turn off). For desserts, it is recommended that the temperature is between 150 and 190 ° C, and do not open the door during cooking to prevent the dough from falling. The doughs must not be too fluid to not excessively prolong the cooking.
Does the top cook too much on the top?
- Place the dish to a lower height, set a lower temperature, extend the cooking time.
What are telescopic guides in ovens used for?
- The telescopic guides provided on some models of FRANKE ovens allow you to easily introduce and extract safely baking trays or grids, as well as more conveniently control cooking.
What does "cold door" mean?
- The definition "Cold Door" indicates that during use, the oven door is at temperatures significantly lower than the norms required by the regulations, obtained through the use of effective ventilation systems and heat-reflecting glasses.
What are the characteristics of a steam combined oven?
The steam oven combines the use of water vapor with traditional cooking methods. Franke's Combined Steam oven Technology comes from professional catering ovens, which, unlike most homemade products, have a real boiler for vapor generation, which is then controlled in a controlled manner in cooking chamber. The combination of steam and forced convection (ventilated cooking function) allows different programs that make this oven particularly well and complete.
For more traditional cooking, specific programs for raising bread and cake, or prolonged cooking at low temperatures, are added.
Franke's combined steam oven does not need to be connected to the water supply.
How do I clean my oven control panel?
- Use a glass cleaner and a soft cloth or sponge. Pour the glass cleaner on the cloth or sponge, do not spray it directly. Do not use abrasive detergents, steel wool rolls, rough sponges, or some types of absorbent paper that could damage the surfaces.
In the microwave I see sparks when in use.
- Carefully clean the inside of the appliance, preferably with a detergent for microwave ovens. Dirt and grease are the cause of sparks in the oven, as well as the use of metal elements. Be careful to use dishes and containers suitable for microwave use.
The rotating dish of my microwave continues to rotate.
- Try resetting the equipment by pulling the plug out of the socket for about 1 minute or by briefly turning off the power supply affected by the wall switch. If the problem is not resolved, contact the Support Center.
The rotating dish of my microwave does not spin or twitch.
- Check if the plate has been loaded too much: The maximum capacity of the turntable is 1.5 kg. Check that the microwave oven is well-cleaned: moisture or fat at the bottom of the appliance may prevent the dish from turning easily. Check that the plate has been properly positioned: the swivel plate must be positioned in such a way that the rollers fit into the bottom of the metal groove.
I have a flashing light. Do I have to call for help?
- Before calling Technical Support to request an intervention, refer to the instruction manual of the hood for "Use" and "Maintenance" paragraphs to see if the spy is actually an alarm on the hood that can be turned off simply by running a reset on the controls of the appliance.
The hood makes an abnormal vibration. What should I do?
- Verify or ask the installer to verify the installation has been made according to the steps described in the instruction manual supplied with the hood. If the installation is correct and the noise actually comes from the product, the Authorized Technical Support Center should be contacted.
The hood suction is not powerful enough. What should I do?
- Verify or ask the installer to verify the installation has been made according to the steps described in the instruction manual supplied with the hood. If the installation is correct and the low suction is due to a defect in the product, the Authorized Technical Support Center should be contacted.
Who can I contact if I have some problems with the installation?
- Referring to the instruction manual you can find all the information that is useful for proper installation. You can also contact our Technical Assistance Centers, who will be able to respond and intervene for your needs. (NB the eventual intervention of the Technical Assistance Center, is chargeable).
How can I reduce the noise of the hood if excessive?
- The noise of a hood is generated by the airflow that passes inside it during operation. We have built the internal components of our hoods so that the airflow finds few obstacles to its passage, with excellent results in terms of effectiveness and low noise emission. An effective way of avoiding the increase in noise is to use, for the outflow of air, well-sized pipes (120-150 mm in diameter). Dirty or saturated filters can hinder air flow: Periodic cleaning (or replacement) of filters ensures smooth air flow.
How to properly install the hood?
- The hood must be installed at a minimum distance of 65 cm from the hob. We recommend that you do not install it more than 75 cm from the hob to properly suck the vapors. The exhaust fumes must also be as close to the hood as possible. Choose pipes of 150 mm in diameter (or no less than 120 mm), not longer than 3-4 meters and with a maximum of 2 curves. WARNING: The warranty does not cover any damage caused by failure to observe minimum safety distances.
Is it better to install the hood in the suction or filtering version?
- We recommend installing the aspirating hood that is the most effective, safe and silent solution: effective because it emits polluted air outside through an exhaust pipe; safe because it recalls inside new air. And security is important, especially in the presence of gas appliances; silent because the rotation speed of the motor unit is generally much lower and less internal vortexes are formed.
How can I identify the hood model?
- The model of each hood is listed on the label within the product (accessible by removing the metal / grid filters) with a code of assistance in the upper right of 7 or 9 digits starting at 63 ..., or a code of 10 digits with 110.xxxx.xxx format.
Why does not the Technical Assistance Center intervene for aesthetics problems?
- Because the aesthetic defect must be "claimed" by the installer, directly during the installation, or at the opening of the hood pack. Subsequent complaints can not be recognized as warranty claims and any assistance from the Technical Assistance Center will be out of warranty.
How should the hood be cleaned?
- It is easy to have the hood always beautiful and clean: you need a soft cloth and a neutral, chlorine-free detergent so as not to damage the finish.
What are the filters? How often do I have to replace them?
- Filters are an integral part of the hood, their maintenance affects the efficiency, safety and noise of the hood. Anti-grease filters protect the engine from the grease contained in vapors aspirated by the hood. The metal filters on the Franke hoods ensure a high level of catch of fat particles. To keep them efficient, just wash them by hand or dishwasher, on average every 2 months. Synthetic filters, possibly on some old models, are not washable and should be replaced when fat impregnated, about every 2 months. The odor filters are activated charcoal cartridges to be installed exclusively on the hoods in the filtering version. They are not washable and should be replaced periodically, on average every 3 months.
Which piping are recommended for the best suction performance?
- A pipe diameter of 150 mm. It is the ideal for hoods with a capacity of 300 mc / h up. If it is not possible to install this pipe, we recommend a 120 mm diameter pipe. Smaller pipes adversely affect the flow rate and noise of the hood.
Franke Vital Capsule Tap
What are some benefits of the Vital Capsule range?
The Vital Capsule Filter system gives you 500 litres of the purest drinking water can be dispensed through the patented Vital filter capsule, before a discreet LED light tells you that the filter needs changing. This is done in seconds, with a simple twist and turn of the capsule housing.
- HYGIENE : purified water without the risk of bacterial growth (the case with the filter jugs that must be kept in the refrigerator).
- ENVIRONMENT : Elimination of the need for plastic bottles.
- SAVINGS : an investment amortized in a few months and a drastic reduction in the cost of water.
- SPACE SAVING : no installation required in the kitchen cabinet (no tools required).
- TIME-SAVING : no need to wait, purified water is available instantly.
- CONVENIENT : no carrying and storing of bottles of water.
Nanofiltration allows the retention of all dissolved pollutants, whether biological, organic or mineral. Benefits include:
- Removes 99.9% of bacteria
- Removes 99.9% of viruses
- Filters out rust and sediment
- Filters out microplastics
- Removes tastes and odours
How many filters are supplied with a Vital Capsule tap?
- Your new Vital Capsule Filter Tap is supplied with one filter cartridge, which should last an average of 3-4 months. Replacement filters are available to purchase from Lazada or this webshop, or in stores.
How do I know when the filter needs to be replaced?
- Vital Capsule Taps have an LED light to indicate when the filter needs to be replaced. A green light indicates that the filter cartridge is working. A red light indicates that the cartridge has filtered 450 litres, and it should be replaced as soon as possible. A flashing red light and reduced flow indicates that the cartridge has filtered 500 litres and needs to be changed.
The timer is powered by a CR2032 battery (lifetime 3 years).
How do I replace the filter cartridge?
Unscrew the filter housing and remove the old cartridge. Insert new cartridge, screw the filter housing back into place. Reset the electronic timer button. After flashing for 3 seconds, your filtered water is ready to be dispensed.
If you have mispaced your reset key, replacements can be purchased from Franke Singapore Pte Ltd.
How does the filter work, and what does it remove from the main water?
The Vital Capsule system has the smallest and first filter cartridge that combines bionic membrane and active carbon:
PRE-FILTRATION : a first filter captures the large impurities and holds them back.
MEMBRANE : thanks to nanotechnology, a 0.06mm membrane covered with a fine nylon mesh filters the smallest particles, and even bacteria.
ACTIVE CHARCOAL FILTER : It captures all dissolved impurities, such as chlorine. This technology is a natural physical process that has been proven for decades.
PURE WATER : after passing through this multiple circuit, it flows with a simple movement of the hand into your glass.
All Vital taps are supplied with a High-Performance filter as standard, but for those rare occurrences where an enhanced water flow rate is required, Franke have developed the High-Flow filter which is a superb alternative providing continuous high flow rates in areas where the High-Performance filter can get congested prematurely due to excessive sediment contamination in the water.
The High-Flow filter has a mesh size that is 20 times finer than ordinary household filters. As a result, rust, dirt and fine sediments are filtered out for cleaner water. Please note, the High-Flow filter does not remove microbial cysts, microplasts, bacteria & viruses.
I have just changed my filter cartridge but there seem to have black bits in the water at first - why is this?
- This is nothing to worry about. Along with some air, the first water through a new cartridge flushes out some dust in the activated carbon filter.
What size taphole is required for each of the Vital tap models?
- The Vital Capsule Filter 3-in-1 J-Spout and Semi-Pro models require an industry standard taphole of 35mm.
- The Single Dispense model is designed to take advantage of a soap dispenser hole of 22mm, but there is an adapter kit for a 35mm hole included.
What flow rates are achievable on the water filter, and what is the operating pressure?
The flow rate of the filtered water is 2 litres per minute at 2 bar., and 3.5 litres per minute at 3 bar.
Vital Capsule Taps operate between 0.7 bar to 6.8 bar pressure.
When I first turn on my filtered water, the flow initially seems poor. Why is this?
- When the filter tap is first turned on, air has to be pushed out of the filter before the water flow is established. This is perfectly normal and not something to be concerned about.